CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 12, 2008

Non-political statement

jenna_bush_wedding_7.jpg

Regardless of how anyone feels about the Bush family or their politics, I am so glad that they were able to enjoy the love and joy a wedding brings.  I think it is a beautiful thing that Jenna and her husband chose to honor their vows by having their wedding in front of family and close friends, and away from the paparazzi and craziness of a televised event, or a Style Network special on the cost of the affair. I appreciate that they resisted the urge to celebratize it.  I also respect Papa Bush for not trying in any way to use the wedding as a popularity or poll booster-- especially during a time when he could use that very help.

About the wedding itself: I love the simplicity of the location, the dress, the hair, the flowers...it is just so lovely.

When at my most self-absorbed, I think about all of the different options for a wedding and wish I could get married again (to Jerrad!) about once every 5 years. Our wedding was so much fun for us! We felt so much love and happiness, and it was a true community celebration.  Every time I think of it, I end up smiling at the memories and feeling joyful inside.

It would be so fun to do again! A beach party with a small ceremony? A destination wedding in a courtyard in Italy? A summer garden party at a winery? Maybe I just need to be a party planner.

I recently read in a very esteemed journalistic magazine (ha!) that Seal and Heidi Klum renew their vows and have a bash each year with the same guest list, and I remember thinking that it seemed so decadent.  And truly, why would the same people want to celebrate your choice over and over? It seems that there are so many more important things to invest in...deep things, that need to recognized and strived for, like justice, or ending world hunger.

Then I remember that marriage is a deep thing, and my vows to Jerrad center my existence, and that God does want to celebrate with me this gift of partnership and grace...a tangible model of His relationship with me.

And I also remember that not all deep, significant things involve suffering, pain and loss. I think there is a reason that Jesus' first miracle was turning the water into wine at a wedding; it was a statement of identity and purpose, a statement that said "I'm here to celebrate with you, as well as to heal and protect.  I'm here to be your friend in the most meaningful way-- a friend who will help you celebrate life's joys, victories and beautiful things."

Anyway, I feel so thankful that I am married to Jerrad, and that God enjoys our relationship with all of its small joys.  And I'm so glad we live in day and age that still honors and celebrates the romance, mystery and beauty of a man and a women who come together in a commitment to grace, to have and to hold.  For the Bush's, for us and for marriages celebrated the world over, what God has joined together, let no man put asunder. Amen.

jenna_bush2.jpg

0 comments: